Black hair is prone to dryness as it typically does not produce as many natural oils and it is more prone to damage from environmental elements. Your hair benefits from using natural oils because it helps to seal in moisture preventing hair from becoming too dry and brittle.
The best oil for black hair seals in moisture and helps to prevent moisture loss. Here are the top 10 oils to try:
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil (heavy but good!)
- Olive Oil (heavy) *Penetrates the hair strand
- Coconut Oil (lightweight) *Penetrates the hair strand
- Avocado Oil (heavy) *Penetrates the hair strand
- Argan Oil (lightweight)
- Jojoba Oil (lightweight) *Similar composition to sebum our scalps naturally produce
- Grapeseed Oil (lightweight)
- Sunflower Oil (lightweight)
- Safflower Oil (lightweight)
- Almond Oil (lightweight)
Afro-textured hair benefits from the use of oils as it does not naturally produce as much oil as straighter hair types and it is easier for moisture loss to occur.
Here are some benefits you get out of natural oils:
Keeping moisture in your hair
Oil acts as a protective layer when used with moisturizers or water enabling you to retain moisture longer.
Oils can help keep your hair nice and soft. Here are some oils that are particularly good for this:
This oil penetrates the roots of the hair which can improve hair elasticity and reduce breakage. Because it is light, Argan oil does not clog pores.
Cold-pressed JBCO is more alkaline, which makes it better at opening cuticles and restoring them to soften hair.
Castor oil from castor beans is one of the best oils for black hair. It has hydroxyl groups that give it unique properties. It has fatty acids, mostly Ricinoleic Acid which when massaged into the scalp, improves circulation and thus helps hair grow stronger and longer.
Natural oils strengthen hair and reduce friction between strands. They also reduce breakage, dryness, and split ends. Your hair will grow longer if it doesn’t break as much. In this way, you can say that natural oils can help you to get longer hair. They don’t make hair grow longer, but they do help with retention making it easier to grow.
Coconut oil is helpful when your hair lacks protein and prevents hygral fatigue. If your hair is fine to medium, you will also see the most benefit from coconut oil.
Because Jamaican Black Castor Oil has antimicrobial properties, it is a dandruff remedy. Use JBCO, Coconut Oil, or Almond oil together with something like tea tree oil.
How to Get the Most out of Natural Oils
- Use cold-pressed or virgin oils.
- Don’t use oil when it has gone rancid (pay attention to the shelf life of the product).
- Use natural oils in modest amounts. A tablespoon should be enough to oil all the tips of your hair. Women who have longer hair might use two tablespoons. Too much oil will weigh down your hair.
- To preserve moisture on your hair, apply oil on your hair when it is still wet or damp. Don’t wait for it to dry completely.
- Nut oils like almond oil and coconut oil are not good for people who have nut allergies.
Have fun experimenting with mixing oils or adding them to your hair conditioner. Coconut oil makes an excellent conditioner when you mix it with honey and yogurt.
Experiment with different natural oils until you identify the one that works best for your hair. Your hair has its own unique needs.
8 thoughts on “What Is the Best Oil for Black Hair? Find Out Here!”
Is shea butter good for the scalp?
i have short hair i need something to help make hair strong and long also i have 2 daughters which in they hair a straight, curly, fizz very fast and also we live in the caribbean a island called antigua
Ihave natural hair but it had xJimos infront which oils can I use ASAP
I’m 77yrs old. my hair needs help. What can I get for thickness of the hair , breakage and dryness. Ty B Blessed
I been using the RCD ReVita Grow Drops they’re really good and I have noticed visible difference with my manageability and growth so far.
I myself want to wear my own hair without putting braids in my hair I always wanted real beautiful hair but it looks like it is so hard to grow my own hair can someone help me to grow my own hair.
Beneficial tips! I want my black wavy hair extensions clip in to endure its hair moisture and stay away from frizz. I will definitely try one of these natural oil.
I’m interested in all good oils and dyes for healthy.